This gin grapefruit cocktail is not only refreshing it’s ready in 5 minutes! Now that’s a summer cocktail to keep coming back to.
Listen I am no mixologist. And I’m going to guess you aren’t either. But that doesn’t mean we can’t pretend right? And there’s something about summer that brings out everyone’s inner mixologist.
Hot hazy summer days just make me want to grab my cocktail shaker and some ice and mix things up a bit.
Like this gin grapefruit cocktail. Because summer needs cocktails that you can mix up in 5 minutes, doesn’t it? I agree. It does.
Why You Will Make This Gin Cocktail Again And Again
- Ready In 5 Minutes – Yes really. If you have all the ingredients on hand, then all it takes is a little bit of pouring and shaking.
- Customizable – I love this gin grapefruit cocktail as is, but I’ll give you some ways you can customize this and make it with what you have.
- Light and refreshing – With just a little simple syrup, you won’t feel too guilty sipping on these in the summertime.
Ingredients For This Gin Grapefruit Cocktail
- Gin – Yes the star ingredient. We used 2 ounces of our favorite dry gin, but you can adjust to how strong you like yours.
- Grapefruit Liqueur – This is what gives the drink the “grapefruity-ness”.
- Lemon Juice – Fresh squeezed is best!
- Simple Syrup – This is easy to make and keep on hand for all your summer cocktail needs. It’s just equal parts sugar and water dissolved together.
- Club Soda – Top it off with some bubbles before serving.
We also like to then garnish the cocktail with a grapefruit or lemon peel right before serving.
How Do You Make A Simple Syrup?
You can buy simple syrup, but you can also make it yourself! And as the name suggests, it really couldn’t be simpler.
To Make Your Own Simple Syrup:
- In a small saucepan combine 1 cup of water and 1 cup sugar.
- Cook over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. It doesn’t need to boil.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
You can keep your syrup refrigerated for up to 1 month. So cocktails all month long!
How To Make This Gin And Grapefruit Cocktail
Just like there isn’t that many ingredients, the prep is also easy! Start by combining the gin, liqueur, lemon juice, and simple syrup in your cocktail shaker or glass. Give it a shake (or stir – your choice).
Then pour the mixture over a glass of ice.
And then fill it up with club soda! Garnish with a peel. And enjoy!
Gin Grapefruit Cocktail FAQ’s
What If I Don’t Like Gin?
Or maybe it’s your guests that don’t? That’s OK. This works beautifully with vodka or tequila as well. Of course it might change the taste a bit obviously 😉
What If I Don’t Have A Cocktail Shaker?
That’s OK, too. Just simple stir it all together in a glass. I’m not sure James Bond would drink it (shaken, not stirred) but I would.
Can I Use Grapefruit Juice Instead?
If you don’t have liqueur and use grapefruit juice, you’re basically making what’s called a “salty dog” cocktail, which is fine. If you can track down this liqueur I highly recommend trying it! It has a distinct flavor that is quite different than grapefruit juice.
What If I Don’t Have Simple Syrup?
If you don’t want to make (or buy) simple syrup A Couple Cooks suggests using maple syrup, agave nectar, or honey as a good substitute. I don’t recommend just adding straight sugar to the cocktail because it won’t dissolve the same way. And adding Stevia might alter the taste too much.
WHAT CAN I SERVE THESE Gin grapefruit Cocktails WITH?
A good cocktails always calls for a couple of good bites to go with it. I love serving m cocktails with a few tasty appetizers that my guests (or me!) can nibble on like this Epic Crudite Platter With Dip, The Perfect Cheese Charcuterie Board, or this Loaded Hummus Dip Recipe.
More Refreshing Cocktails To Try
TOOLS NEEDED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Cocktail Shaker
- Cocktail Glasses
Follow along with me on Instagram! And if you make this recipe be sure to tag me @howe.we.live so I can see! I love seeing what you’re making!
Grapefruit Gin Cocktail
- 2 ounces Dry Gin
- 1 ounce Pamplemousse Grapefruit Liqueur
- 1 ounce Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Simple Syrup
- 2 ounces Club soda adjust amount accordingly; meant to be used to fill up your cocktail glass, so may need more or less
- Add gin, Pamplemousse, lemon juice and simple syrup to a cocktail glass or shaker, and stir
- Pour over a glass of ice, and stir in enough club soda to fill the glass
- Garnish with an grapefruit or lemon peel
Leave a Reply