This skillet turkey meatball and rice recipe is a quick and simple dinner to throw together. Healthy turkey meatballs is combined with brown rice and parmesan cheese for a dinner your whole family will love.
Because you all have been enjoying the recipe I recently shared for healthy turkey meatballs, I thought I’d show you all one way you can incorporate them for a quick dinner. This recipe for turkey meatballs and rice is simple to throw together, and even easier to clean up since it’s all made in one pan. I hope your family enjoys them as much as mine does.
Lemon is added to the skillet with the rice and broth to give this dish a brightness. You can adjust the lemon juice you add to the rice based on the tartness of your lemons, or how much (or little) some people in your family enjoy lemon flavor. Also, feel free to use scallions or onions in this dish; I’ve used both and they’re equally delicious.
If you try and enjoy this recipe, please consider leaving a comment and rating below. Good luck and happy cooking 🙂
What’s in Skillet Meatballs and Rice?
The ingredients list for this healthy turkey meatball recipe is minimal. All you’ll need to make these skillet meatballs are:
- Pre-made turkey meatballs
- Long grain brown rice
- Lemon juice
- Chicken stock
- Parmesan cheese
How to Make Meatballs with Rice
Once you’ve formed the healthy turkey meatballs, brown them on all sides in a well oiled skillet. Remove them from the pan, then add the rice, stock, onions (or scallions), and lemon juice.
Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the meatballs back to the pan at this point and cook for another 20 minutes.
Sprinkle with grated Parmesan just before serving, if desired.
Can I Use White Rice Instead of Brown?
Yes, but note that white rice cooks much quicker than brown rice so you’ll need to adjust your cook time accordingly.
Other Tips for Making Turkey Meatballs and Rice
If you’re in a time crunch, you could use store-bought frozen meatballs instead of making your own. Just be sure to read the ingredients list to make sure you’re buying a high-quality meatball!
I used my homemade turkey meatballs in this skillet dinner recipe, but your favorite ground beef or lamb meatballs can also be used.
Enjoy these skillet meatballs with rice as is, or serve with a simple side salad or steamed veggie.
Other One-Pan Dinner Recipes:
- Braised Asian Pork
- Ground Beef Picadillo with Cauliflower Rice
- One-Pot Italian Sausage Pasta
- One-Pan Roasted Chicken, Rice, and Veggies
- Sweet Potato Vegetarian Chili
- …All of my one-pan recipes!
Skillet Turkey Meatballs and Rice
- 1 batch of healthy turkey meatballs
- 1 cup long grain brown rice , rinsed
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cups chicken stock (or chicken broth)
- Parmesan cheese to taste (as much as 1/4 cup or just some shreds)
- Assemble your turkey meatballs and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Remove from refrigerator and heat 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add meatballs to pan and saute for 5-7 minutes, turning on all sides to evenly brown but not cook through.
- Remove meatballs from pan and set on a paper towel lined plate.
- Heat empty skillet on medium heat, adding a swig of oil if needed, and add rice, cooking for a minute or two just until translucent. Add scallions or onions and garlic and cook for about another minute. Stir in broth and lemon juice and bring to a slow boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cover & simmer for 15-20 minutes. Remove lid and add meatballs to pan. Cover and cook for another 20 minutes, until rice is tender.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, and fresh parsley and/or scallion greens if desired.