Because you all have been enjoying the recipe I recently shared for healthy turkey meatballs, I thought I’d show you all one way you can incorporate them for a quick dinner. This recipe for turkey meatballs and rice is simple to throw together, and even easier to clean up since it’s all made in one pan. I hope your family enjoys them as much as mine does.
Lemon is added to the skillet with the rice and broth to give this dish a brightness. You can adjust the lemon juice you add to the rice based on the tartness of your lemons, or how much (or little) some people in your family enjoy lemon flavor. Also, feel free to use scallions or onions in this dish; I’ve used both and they’re equally delicious. If you try and enjoy this recipe, please consider leaving a comment and rating below. Good luck and happy cooking 🙂
Skillet Turkey Meatballs & Rice
- 1 batch of healthy turkey meatballs
- 1 cup long grain brown rice rinsed
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cups chicken stock/broth
- Parmesan cheese to taste as much as 1/4 cup or just some shreds
- Assemble your turkey meatballs and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Remove from refrigerator and heat 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add meatballs to pan and saute for 5-7 minutes, turning on all sides to evenly brown but not cook through.
- Remove meatballs from pan and set on a paper towel lined plate.
- Heat empty skillet on medium heat, adding a swig of oil if needed, and add rice, cooking for a minute or two just until translucent. Add scallions or onions and garlic and cook for about another minute. Stir in broth and lemon juice and bring to a slow boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cover & simmer for 15-20 minutes. Remove lid and add meatballs to pan. Cover and cook for another 20 minutes, until rice is tender.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, and fresh parsley and/or scallion greens if desired.