The best white chicken chili instant pot recipe you’ll want to make every week! Loaded with veggies and packed with flavor, it has a perfectly creamy texture without tons of added fat. It’s an easy instant pot recipe that is perfect for colder weather and cozy nights. Included are directions for making on the stovetop as well!
If you’ve been looking for the perfect white chicken chili recipe, look no further cause I’ve gotcha covered. The whole family loves this recipe because it’s got a smooth and mild flavor, creamy broth and simple minimal ingredients even my picky eaters don’t grimace at. We love to make it our own sprinkling on our favorite toppings, and I love how easy it is to clean up! Read on for how to make this good ol’ fashioned white bean chicken chili. And take a peak at some other soup recipe favorites, including vegetarian chili and beef and potato soup!
Why this recipe works
- Great flavor and a variety of yummy textures; between the crunchy corn, creamy white beans, and ground chicken, it’s a flavor party for the senses!
- Super easy prep and clean up. I use ground chicken (or turkey) instead of chicken breasts to make this dish even easier. No shredding chicken, just pop in the ground meat and you’re good to go. And because it’s all made in one pot, clean up is a breeze.
- Well balanced healthy meal. You hit all the important macro nutrients with this dish; lean protein, fiber filled carbs, and just a bit of healthy fat for a tasty and nutritious dinner that will be a new family favorite!
- Ground chicken or ground turkey – I used ground poultry here instead of the typical skinless chicken breast or chicken thighs because I didn’t want to mess with shredding. Also, I personally find it hit and miss cooking chicken perfectly in the instant pot. Sometimes it turns out too dry and tough.
- Poblano peppers and canned green chilis – a mix of both adds flavor and texture, but feel free to use all one or the other depending on what is available.
- Sweet corn – either frozen corn or fresh corn works. I used cooked corn on the cob because I had leftovers from a bbq, but frozen works just as well.
- White beans – feel free to use either cannellini beans or great northern beans. Make sure they are rinsed and drained.
- Diced yellow onions and diced garlic – gotta pack this white chili with tons of flavor!
- Herbs and spices – cumin, oregano, a touch of cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper
- Chicken stock and sour cream (or Greek yogurt) – to make a creamy and flavorful broth
- Favorite toppings – whether it’s a dollop of sour cream, fresh cilantro, tortilla chips or shredded cheddar cheese, offer a variety of toppings so the whole family can have fun dressing up their easy white chicken chili.
Putting together this instant pot white chicken chili is so simple, it will free up your time to do other important things! Like catching up on a good book or helping a kiddo with homework.
Begin by setting the instant pot on the sauté function, and add about 2 tablespoon of olive oil. Sauté the ground chicken or turkey till brown on all sides, about 7-9 minutes. Make sure to season the chicken with salt and pepper to heighten its flavor. Don’t worry about it being thoroughly cooked through. Press cancel, transfer chicken to a plate or bowl, and drain out the inner pot.
Add 1 can of the drained beans to the inner pot, and smash up till mostly smooth. Using a potato masher here makes it quick and easy. Smashing 1 can of beans will help thicken the broth and make it a bit creamier, without having to add a ton of extra sour cream or cream cheese.
Now add all remaining ingredients (minus the sour cream). Pour in chicken broth to the instant pot pressure cooker, then add in the cooked chicken, and give it all a good stir.
Close the lid and make sure it’s set to seal, and cook on manual mode high pressure, for 12 minutes.
Allow for a natural release for about 10-12 minutes, then vent any remaining pressure and open lid.
Vigorously stir in sour cream or Greek yogurt, and serve. This instant pot chicken chili is such a yummy twist on traditional chili, I hope it will become a new favorite recipe of yours!
Instant pot chili FAQ’s
Follow all the directions as above, but just cook on the stovetop in a Dutch oven or stock pot, and cook on medium low heat for about 30-45 minutes.
Simply season and sauté the chicken breasts till golden brown on both sides and cooked through, about 15 minutes. Remove from the pot, allow to cool to handle, then shred and follow remaining directions. To decrease cook time, I recommend using smaller breasts that aren’t super thick. The Instant Pot sauté function doesn’t work as well as a stove top, so it will take quite a while to cook through a very thick breast.
Yes! Sauté meat on the stove top, then add all ingredients to the crock pot, minus the sour cream, and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
I hope you love this recipe! Please check out my other Instant Pot recipes via this link, and if you ever make one of my recipes and enjoy it, please consider leaving a rating and review. They make all the difference and I read every one! Thanks so much and happy cooking!
White Chicken Chili Instant Pot Recipe
- Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- 1 lb ground chicken or turkey
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cans great northern beans or cannellini beans; drained and rinsed
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups corn kernels fresh or frozen
- 1 cup onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 poblano pepper can use 2 if you wish, cut into large chunks
- 1 can green chilis
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt more to taste
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Begin by setting the instant pot on the sauté function, and add about 2 tablespoon of olive oil. Sauté the ground chicken or turkey till brown on all sides, about 7-9 minutes. Make sure to season the chicken with salt and pepper to heighten its flavor. Press cancel, transfer chicken to a plate or bowl, and drain out the inner pot.
- Add 1 can of the drained beans to the inner pot, and smash up till mostly smooth. Using a potato masher here makes it quick and easy.
- Now add all remaining ingredients (minus the sour cream). Pour in chicken broth to the instant pot pressure cooker, then add in the cooked chicken, and give it all a good stir.
- Close the lid and make sure it’s set to seal, and cook on manual mode high pressure, for 12 minutes.
- Allow for a natural release for about 10-12 minutes, then vent any remaining pressure and open lid.
- Vigorously stir in sour cream or Greek yogurt, and serve.