Easy Instant Pot bean soup made with dried beans and a few simple ingredients is a delicious and affordable meal that is so good for you! Packed with 21 grams of protein and 8 grams of fiber, this soup has a light broth that is filling and satisfying.
I’ve shown you how to make bean soup in the pressure cooker before, using canned beans, in this white chicken chili recipe. But this time I want to share how to cook beans from scratch, using dried pinto beans. It’s not at all hard and the results are fool-proof! Made into a comforting soup, along with ground turkey and fresh veggies, this recipe is an easy and delicious way to pack in the nutrients!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- So easy to make all in one pot, it’s a simple set it and forget it type recipe with easy prep and clean up. And fresh dried beans cook up in a fraction of the time in the Instant Pot pressure cooker.
- Nutritious and delicious! Who says you have to sacrifice flavor for a good-for-you meal? The pinto beans provide tons of fiber (8 grams) and protein (21 grams), and with the added ground turkey and fresh veggies, it’s a truly nutritious powerhouse of a meal!
- A great recipe for meal prep, as it reheats easily and tastes just as good the days after making a fresh batch!
- Customizable to what ingredients you have on hand and for personal preference. Sub in different types of beans like Great Northern beans or other white beans like navy beans and cannellini beans. It’s also a great way to use up any veggies you have on hand to pack in even more nutrients. Carrots, sweet potatoes or corn would be great additions!
- Can also be made in the slow cooker Crock Pot or on the stove top – directions will be in the recipe card.
Ingredients to make this hearty soup
- 1 pound of dried pinto beans, soaked overnight or for at least 6-8 hours. You can soak them overnight or first thing in the morning so they are ready to cook later that day. And again, feel free to use a different type of bean if you prefer.
- 1 pound of ground turkey, or ground beef if you prefer.
- 3 cups of mixed fresh vegetables. I used 1 cup each of diced onion, chopped celery and chopped red peppers. Keep the onions separate, as you are going to sauté them first.
- 1 14 ounce can of diced tomatoes, preferably one with chilis such as Ro-Tel brand.
- 2 tablespoons Better Than Bouillon chicken flavor, along with about 4 cups of water (make sure it’s warm water). Feel free to sub in regular canned or boxed chicken broth but I personally think the Better Than Bouillon has more flavor.
- Seasonings and olive oil, including fresh minced garlic, cumin and salt and black pepper. if you would like to add a bit of heat, add in chili powder as well, but this is optional. Not much else is needed to flavor this easy soup!
Step-by-step directions for making this Instant Pot bean soup recipe
Begin by setting the pressure cooker on sauté mode and letting it heat up. Add in the olive oil when warmed, and sauté the onions and garlic for 2-3 minutes, till soft and fragrant.
Add in the ground turkey making sure to break it up well with a wooden spoon or spatula, and cook for about 5-8 minutes. No need to cook through, as we want to mainly just break up the meat and give it a little flavor.
Stir in remaining vegetables, canned tomatoes and seasoning and give it a good stir, then press cancel on the Instant Pot.
Mix the bouillon with the warm water to make a chicken stock, stirring until well incorporated. Add in the beans and and bouillon water giving it one final stir. The beans should be covered with about 1 inch of liquid, so add a bit more plain water or stock if need be.
Close the lid, making sure it’s set to sealed, and cook on Bean/Chili mode, which will cycle for 30 minutes. With this amount of volume in the pot, it will take about 15 minutes to come to full pressure, so total closed lid pressure cook time is approximately 45 minutes.
While your wonderfully easy soup cooks, go ahead and sit back and relax!
When the soup is done cooking, do a natural pressure release for about 5 minutes, then do a quick release. When all the pressure has been released, remove the lid and get excited! You should have a delicious light broth packed with great flavor, and the most tender beans that melt in your mouth!
Serve your delicious soup topped with sour cream or Greek yogurt, shredded cheddar cheese and maybe some tortilla chips!
Soaking dried beans overnight makes them easier to digest, cook quicker and less likely to burst during the cooking process. If you have not had time to soak the beans, don’t fret. you can use the quick soak method. Or you can just cook straight away, but you may need to run 2 cycles in the Instant Pot, which could impact the texture of the ground turkey and veggies.
Yes, you can definitely employ the quick soak method if you forgot or don’t have time to soak the beans. Boil 6 cups of water and add water and dry beans to a pot, cover and let sit for 1 hour. Drain then use as directed.
To cook in the slow cooker, add all ingredients to the pot, making sure to break up the ground turkey, and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
To cook on the stove top, sauté the onions and garlic, then the ground meat. Add in remaining ingredients, cover and cook on a low simmer for 1-2 hours, until beans are tender but firm. Pinto beans typically take 90-120 minutes to cook thoroughly.
For best results, I would recommend allowing the soup to sit and come to room temperature, and then reheat. It will naturally thicken as the beans absorb the liquid, and in fact will get much thicker the next day. If you want to thin the soup out the following day, simply add a bit of chicken broth.
Why beans are so good for you
There are so many wonderful health benefits of beans, as outlined in this article.
Beans of all varieties are a great source of fiber. Fiber can help reduce cholesterol, keep you regular and help you feel fuller longer. Fiber found in foods like beans, also helps promote a healthy gut microbiome.
Beans are also packed with protein, with the typical variety having about 15 grams per 1 cup of beans. They area also loaded with vitamins and minerals, including iron, magnesium, zinc and folate.
And according to the NIH (National Institute of Health), a diet rich in plant foods, including beans, can help reduce risk of cardiovascular disease.
I hope you love this easy and delicious instant pot soup and add it to your recipe rotation. And if you want more delicious soup recipes, check a few out below! If you tried and loved this recipe, please consider leaving a comment and rating! It would be so appreciated 🙂
Easy Instant Pot Bean Soup with Ground Turkey
- 1 Pressure Cooker at least 6 quarts
- 1 lb dried pinto beans soaked for at least 8 hours
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 cup onions diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup celery sliced
- 1 cup red peppers chopped
- 14 ounce canned diced tomatoes with chilis, like Ro-Tel
- 2 tablespoon better than bouillon
- 4 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Soak the dried pinto beans
- The night before or the morning of, place the dried beans in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Allow them to soak for at least 6-8 hours. Drain the water and give them one final rinse, then prepare as instructed.
Make the Instant Pot Bean Soup
- Set the pressure cooker on sauté mode and letting it heat up. Add in the olive oil when warmed, and sauté the onions and garlic for 2-3 minutes, till soft and fragrant.1 cup onions, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 3 garlic cloves
- Add in the ground turkey making sure to break it up well with a wooden spoon or spatula, and cook for about 5-8 minutes.1 lb ground turkey
- Stir in remaining vegetables, canned tomatoes and seasoning and give it a good stir, then press cancel on the Instant Pot.1 cup celery, 1 cup red peppers, 14 ounce canned diced tomatoes, 1 teaspoon cumin, 2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Mix the bouillon with the warm water to make a chicken stock, stirring until well incorporated.2 tablespoon better than bouillon, 4 cups warm water
- Add in the beans and and bouillon water giving it one final stir. The beans should be covered with about 1 inch of liquid, so add a bit more plain water or stock if need be.1 lb dried pinto beans
- Close the lid, making sure it’s set to sealed, and cook on Bean/Chili mode, which will cycle for 30 minutes. It should take about 15 minutes to come to pressure.
- Allow a natural pressure release for about 5 minutes, then do a quick release. When all the pressure has been released, remove the lid and serve! Garnish with your favorite toppings.