This layered hummus dip is the perfect appetizer, filled with fresh vegetables, store-bought hummus to make it quick and easy to assemble!
If we were friends that lived close by, you might get a text from me that goes like this:
“Hey what are you up to right now? Want to come hang out on the back deck with me? Maybe bring over a pitcher of Cucumber Jalapeno Margaritas? I’ll whip up this layered hummus dip and we can just sit back, chat, and relax.”
I see you texting me back right now…you’re in aren’t you? Of course you are. That’s why we are friends.
Ok so maybe I can’t just pop right over. However, it does sound like a perfect summer evening, doesn’t it? Because that’s what summers should be about. Easy, breezy fresh recipes that do not require you to turn an oven on. A recipe that allows you to get together without stress and just simply enjoy each other’s company.
And that’s what this hummus dip recipe is all about.
Why You Will Love This Hummus Dip
Oh let me count the ways…
- No Oven Required. It’s hot outside so let’s keep it cool inside.
- Store-bought hummus. Sure you could make your own. Go you! But me? I’m going to grab some containers of store-bought hummus and get to relaxing a bit faster.
- Lots of fresh veggies. All that wonderful produce that’s in your stores right now (or maybe in your garden!) is going to on top of this dip making it perfect to make during the hot summer months.
- Perfect for sharing. I love assembling this dip by surrounding it with pita wedges perfect for everyone being able to dig in. So easy to see all the components and scoop.
- Ready In Minutes. This is the perfect last minute appetizer when you have friends or family coming over.
Ingredients You Will Need For This Layered Hummus Dip Recipe
This layered hummus dip is a fun variation from my Loaded Hummus Dip Recipe, but is even simpler to prepare!
- Hummus – We used 16 ounces of store-bought hummus. You can use whatever is your favorite flavor and go to brand. And you could also make it homemade! That’s up to you!
- Fresh Veggies – Of course you can use whatever fresh veggies that are sitting in your crisper that may need to be used up. We used a combination of cucumber, cherry tomatoes, red onion, and fresh parsley.
- Feta Cheese – About a 1/2 cup of crumbed feta cheese pairs so well with the fresh veggies.
- Olive Oil – Drizzle a little over the dip before serving.
- Pita – You can use pita chips or slice up some pita bread. Either is fantastic.
- Spices – We sprinkled over a middle eastern spice blend, called Za’atar. If you don’t have any on hand, you can sprinkle on paprika, lemon zest, and salt instead.
What Is Za’atar?
Za’atar is a Middle Eastern spice blend made up of thyme, cumin, coriander, sesame seeds, sumac, salt and aleppo chili flakes. It can be found at many grocery stores, online, or of course at Middle Eastern markets.
If you don’t have Za’atar easily available, I suggest sprinkling with Paprika, lemon zest and flaky sea salt.
How Do You Make This Layered Hummus Dip Recipe?
What I truly love about this recipe is just how fast you can throw it all together. So let’s do this…
Step One: Prep Your Vegetables.
You want to start first by simply prepping and cutting your vegetables. I like to dice mine small so that when people go to scoop they get a little bite of everything.
Step Two: Spread The Hummus On Your Platter.
Now that your veggies are ready to go, it’s time to assemble. You want to start by spreading a layer of hummus onto your serving plate.
Step Three: Layer Your Vegetables On.
Go ahead and layer all those beautiful veggies on top of the hummus. Like so…
Step Four: Add Cheese, Oil, and Seasoning.
Now it’s time to finish it up! Add the feta cheese. Drizzle on the olive oil. And sprinkle on your spices.
Step Five: Don’t Forget The Pita!
If you have a minute or two, I like to warm up my pita first. I like to fan my pita wedges out around the layered hummus dip. Yes I do this because it’s super pretty and we eat with our eyes first. But it’s super inviting and easy for everyone to grab a wedge and dig in.
Again, you could also grab a bag of pita chips and spread those out around.
Can you believe how easy that was? Just 15 minutes and you’re good to go.
Layered Hummus Dip Variations
Of course the beauty of this quick hummus appetizer is its versatility. You can always switch things up based on what you have on hand. Here a few suggestions for you to try layering on top.
- Mix Up The Vegetables. Try adding roasted red peppers or diced artichoke hearts.
- Add Some Olives. Chopped green or kalamata olives would be a wonderfully salty addition to this dip.
- Throw in some crunch. Maybe roasted chickpeas, or toasted pine nuts?
- Not a fan of feta? No problem. Try goat cheese instead for a creamy alternative!
Layered Hummus Dip FAQ’s
Can I make my own hummus?
Absolutely you can. Make your own. Buy it. Whatever works for you!
Do I Need To Add The Cheese?
Absolutely not. That’s what I love about making this hummus dip. It’s very versatile.
What If I Don’t Have Za’atar Seasoning?
I would recommend sprinkling on some paprika, fresh lemon zest, and a little sea salt.
Can I Make This Layered Hummus Dip Ahead Of Time?
I would make this up to a day ahead of time (without the oil) or pitas. Right before serving, I would drizzle on the olive oil, and assemble the pita wedges around.
How Long Is This Hummus Dip Good For?
Assuming you have any leftovers (and I’ll make a bet you don’t!) leftovers can be kept covered in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
What Should I Serve With This Layered Hummus Dip?
This is a perfect summer party appetizer to serve at any backyard get togethers. Of course I recommend a good cocktail to serve with this, like my Coconut Pineapple Margarita Recipe.
Of course you can’t go wrong with serving a couple more appetizers alongside for your guests to dig into as well, such as, my Epic Crudite Platter With Dip. Or if you want something a little heartier, then my easy pulled pork recipe would definitely keep a crowd happy.
Tools To Make This Layered Hummus Dip Recipe
You don’t need much to make this recipe, other than a good knife and a pretty serving platter. Here is what I own and use:
- Chef’s Knife
- Cutting Board
- Serving Platter
Follow along with me on Instagram! And if you make this recipe be sure to tag me @howe.we.live so I can see! I love seeing what you’re making!
Layered Hummus Dip
- 16 Ounces Hummus Store Bought or Homemade
- 1/2 Cup Cucumber I prefer English or Persian cucumber, finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup Cherry Tomatoes Halved
- 1/2 Cup Crumbled Feta Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Red Onions Finely Diced
- 2 Tbsp Parsley Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tsp Za'atar or Paprika See recipe notes
- 8 Ounces Pita Bread About 3 slices, cut into triangles
- Start by prepping your vegetables; cucumber, tomatoes and onions
- Spread hummus on the middle of a platter
- Layer vegetables over the hummus
- Sprinkle Feta cheese, drizzle olive oil, and sprinkle Za'atar or other seasoning.
- Serve with Pita Chips or sliced Pita bread