Cajun honey butter salmon is a quick and easy recipe that you’ll enjoy any night of the week. Using a simple and easy preparation, this is such a delicious and satisfying recipe. The salmon is flaky, tender and flavorful, and can be paired with a number of side dishes.
Compound butters are one of my favorite ways to add flavor to a dish, especially delicate seafood. Favorites include Miso Butter Salmon, Garlic Butter Salmon and Pesto Butter Salmon. With this recipe, we take the same concept and spread the Cajun spiced butter all over the salmon filet, then bake it in the oven at low heat, for a fork tender piece of fish that’s never dry or over-seasoned.
Why you’ll love Cajun Honey Butter Salmon
- Spicy sweet contrast is so delicious and the perfect balance of flavors, along with the savory fish.
- A beautiful dish that makes you want to dig in! The vibrant colors of the Cajun spices and the melted butter make this dish look so beautiful it’s special enough to be served for guests
- Easy and simple to make, with almost fool-proof results. This cooking method takes about 20 minutes longer than traditional ways of cooking, but it’s worth the wait!
- Heart healthy and nutritious! Salmon is loaded with nutrients and heart-healthy Omega-3 fatty acids, a type of fat that can decrease inflammation and support brain health.
- Can be prepared a number of ways. While I show you how to slow bake it in the oven today, know that you can definitely grill or pan fry this Cajun salmon recipe.
Ingredients for Cajun Salmon
- 1 large salmon filet approximately 2-2.5 pounds, or 4 individual serving salmon fillets – it doesn’t matter what type of salmon it is, if it’s fresh or frozen. For individual filets I like the frozen Costco salmon and I also source whole salmon filet from Costco depending on what type they have on hand.
- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning – preferably without salt included in the spice mix. It may be too much salt if salt is listed as the first ingredient. Give it a try and adjust measurements if very salty. You can also make your own homemade Cajun seasoning.
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Sea salt for seasoning the salmon filet, although skip if your Cajun spice mixture contains salt.
Simple steps to make Cajun Grilled Salmon
Preheat the oven to 225 degrees f. This has become a favorite way to cook salmon, after learning of it from Samin Nosrat’s Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat, and it has become a favorite method. The great thing about this method is that it makes it really hard to overcook and dry out the salmon!
Make the compound butter by combining the room temperature butter with the honey and Cajun spices in a small bowl. Mix well with the back of a spoon, or you can use an electric hand mixer. I found just mixing by hand does the trick though.
Set the salmon filet(s) skin side down on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. Place pads of the Cajun seasoned honey butter on top of the salmon filet, and place it in the oven.
Bake for about 40 minutes if using a whole salmon filet, or approximately 25 minutes if using individual filets.
Cajun Salmon FAQ’s
You can easily crank up the heat to 350 and bake for about 20 minutes. I often bake salmon at this temperature and have great results.
As a main dish, I love it paired with a simple side dish like my Instant Pot Orzo pasta. Serve with steamed green beans or roasted asparagus, or top on a simple salad for a hearty protein packed lunch.
The salmon is ready when it easily flakes off with a fork. Gently insert a fork into the thickest part of the salmon and twist. The salmon should easily flake and separate into moist, translucent layers. If it’s still resistant or doesn’t flake easily, it needs more cooking time.
I hope you enjoy this delicious recipe! It’s such a easy dinner idea that I my family really loves, and is also great for meal prep lunches. I usually make a double batch and divide up leftover salmon into airtight meal prep containers. They store easily for 3-4 days and taste great reheated or served as a cold protein over a yummy salad. Let me know if you give it a try!
Cajun Honey Butter Salmon
- 1 Sheet Pan
- 2.5 pounds Salmon filet or use 4 single serve salmon filets
- 3 tablespoons Unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning preferably a spice mix with no salt
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- Sea salt to sprinkle on filet, omit if spice blend has salt
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees Fahrenheit
- Combine softened butter, honey and Cajun seasoning in a small bowl and mix well till combined3 tablespoons Unsalted butter, 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning, Sea salt, 1 tablespoon Honey
- Place salmon filet (filets) on a baking sheet and pat dry. Place small pads of the compound butter on top of the filet and place in the oven.2.5 pounds Salmon filet
- Bake at 225 for approximately 40 minutes if roasting a large filet, and about 25 minutes if roasting smaller individual filets. Internal temperature should reach 145 degrees with an instant read thermometer.