Sweeten up your baked goods with this pumpkin spice glaze for pumpkin bread. Just 3 simple ingredients, it’s such an easy way to add a bit of flavor and beauty for your perfect fall treat. It pairs wonderfully with my pumpkin banana muffins or my healthier pumpkin banana bread.
We love quick bread in our house, but what makes any quick bread better is a delicious streusel topping or glaze that sets to perfection and adds the perfect bit of sweetness. And because it’s pumpkin season and I love all things pumpkin, I of course had to add some pumpkin spice flavor to the glaze. As I said before, this recipe works perfectly on my banana pumpkin muffins or my moist pumpkin bread that’s just a bit healthier. But it also works on these baked pumpkin donuts, just switch out the maple icing. Or it would also be lovely on this warm spices chai bundt cake. and any of your favorite pumpkin desserts.
Why this recipe works
- 3 simple ingredients you probably already have at home!
- Quick and easy to whip up a batch. This seriously takes less than 5 minutes and you’ll have the perfect glazed pumpkin bread
- Works for any quick bread recipe, not just for homemade pumpkin bread!
3 basic ingredients and 1 simple step
All you need for this simple glaze is 1 cup of powdered sugar, 5 tablespoons of heavy cream or whole milk, and ¼-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice. This will give it just the slightest hint of pumpkin flavor.
Add all 3 ingredients to a small bowl and mix well with a small whisk or spoon. The consistency should be similar to a very thick syrup or a royal icing like I use in my Halloween sugar cookies. If you overpoured your liquid and the glaze seems too runny, just add a bit more powdered sugar. Alternately, if it’s too thick, add a bit more milk 1 tbsp at a time.
Pour glaze over your cooled bread and allow to set for 15 minutes or so, till glaze is no longer runny and slightly firmed up.
Pro-tip: If you have removed the loaf from the pan before glazing, place your loaf of bread on a wire rack placed over a parchment lined rimmed baking sheet. This will keep the glaze from spilling all over the counter. This also makes the bread look a little cleaner rather than the glaze pooling up at the bottom of the bread on your serving tray.
Additional toppings and glazes for delicious pumpkin bread
I love this easy and delicious recipe, but you certainly don’t have to be limited to this flavor combo! Here are a few other ideas to top your pumpkin loaf or any other seasonal breads and muffins.
- Pure maple syrup glaze – 1 cup powdered sugar plus ¼ cup real maple syrup and a splash of vanilla extract. In a small bowl combine all 3 ingredients and mix well.
- Brown sugar glaze – 1 cup light brown sugar plus 3 tablespoons whole milk or heavy cream and a splash of vanilla extract.
- Pumpkin spice streusel – 1/c cup all purpose flour, ¼ cup melted butter and ¼ cup dark brown sugar, plus ¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix till crumbles form. Sprinkle crumbles all over the pumpkin bread batter and bake as directed.
Make sure to check out my easy banana pumpkin bread recipe that uses canned or fresh pumpkin and whole wheat flour to make it a bit healthier! If you want to make your own pumpkin puree in the Instant Pot or stovetop, check out the recipe!
I hope you enjoyed this easy recipe and will get some good use out of it this season! It’s so versatile and delicious, it will make just about any baked good better!
Easy Pumpkin Spice Glaze for Pumpkin Bread
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 5 tbsp heavy cream or whole milk
- ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Add all ingredients to a small bowl and stir with a whisk till smooth and combined1 cup powdered sugar, 5 tbsp heavy cream, ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice