This delicious holiday Chex Mix is the perfect mix of sweet and salty ingredients, and is so easy to make. Red and green chocolates make it extra festive, and perfect for any holiday celebration. Also great for gift giving!
A gal in my mom’s group shared this recipe years ago when she brought a batch to a Christmas event, and I’ve been making it off and on ever since. The proportions of the cereal, pretzels, nuts and white chocolate is perfect. Each bite has the perfect balance of sweet and savory, and my kids plow right through a batch. You may be used to making Chex mixes for parties, but I promise your family will appreciate this blend so much, you’ll want to make it anytime anyone needs some cheering up.
Holiday Chex Mix Ingredients
- Rice Chex – 2 cups
- Corn Chex – 2 cups
- Cheerios – 2 cups
- Pretzels – 2 cups
- Mixed Nuts, preferably unsalted – 1 cup
- M & M’s – 1 bag and make sure they’re festive holiday ones!
- White Chocolate Chips – 1 bag. I like either Guittard’s, or if you are watching your sugar, Lily’s makes a great low sugar chocolate chip
How to make Your mix!
Whipping up a batch of this mix couldn’t be easier. You just take a large bowl, dump all your ingredients into the bag, and then stir in your melted chocolate.
You can melt your chocolate chips over a double boiler, or even easier if you have a microwave. Add your chips to a glass measuring cup, add in 1 tsp of vegetable oil, and heat on medium for 1 minute. Stir, then heat again in 30 second intervals, until chips are thoroughly melted through.
When you’ve completely incorporated the melted chocolate into your mix, spread it out on a lined baking sheet, and allow to rest for at least 30 minutes. Break up the mix into large pieces, and add to your storage container. Now, enjoy!
The ratio of this mix is perfectly suited for those who like a nice blend of salty sweet. The chocolate chips just barely coat the mix enough to bind it, but don’t overpower it and make it sticky sweet.
How to store Your mix
Keep in an airtight container for up to a week. Ziploc bags, mason jars or a lidded mixing bowl work great. To give as gifts, wrap in a cute recyclable takeout container or a vintage tin. Line the container with some wax paper or tissue paper.
Or of course you can just keep this for yourself to enjoy. It’s a special year and you deserve the extra treats just for making it through 😉
holiday chex mix
Holiday Chex Mix
- 2 Cups Rice Chex cereal
- 2 Cups Corn Chex cereal
- 2 Cups Cheerios
- 2 Cups Pretzels
- 1 Cup Mixed Nuts preferably unsalted
- 1 bag M&M's preferably holiday colored
- 1 bag White Chocolate Chips
- Combine all ingredients, except the chocolate chips, into a large mixing bowl.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a microwave safe glass container for 2 minutes, or until melted through.
- Stir the melted chocolate chips into the dry ingredients until thoroughly mixed and combined.
- Spread out on a lined baking sheet and allow to cool for at least 30 minutes. Break into pieces and store.