This quick and easy recipe for bacon wrapped asparagus air fryer recipe will quickly become a favorite tasty side dish. It’s such a great side dish for brunch or a dinner party, and it’s especially good for a low carb afternoon snack.
It’s asparagus season, where you can find asparagus stalks ranging from petite and thin, to thick and tender. I personally love the thicker stalks and is what I used here, but feel free to use either. Either way, you are going to love these air fryer asparagus spears wrapped in bacon strips. This asparagus recipe is especially good for the veggie averse bacon lover in your life.
Why this recipe works
- Quick and easy side dish – Ready in less than 20 minutes and so easy to put together, you can whip this up even during the busiest of times.
- Healthy-ish – of course you know asparagus on its own is good for you, and while adding in a little bacon adds a bit of decadence to the veggie, just think of it as your daily dose of good fats. Use high quality bacon if you can swing it (no sugar added), or even feel free to substitute prosciutto if you want something slightly less fatty. Also, cooking these in the air fryer gives you the decadent flavor and texture, but is a healthier alternative to frying in lots of oil.
- Flavorful & delicious – Between the fresh flavor of the asparagus and the super saltiness of the crispy bacon, this is a great dish with flavors that perfectly complement each other.
Tender asparagus spears – it doesn’t matter their size, as both petite and larger stalks will work. Just adjust how many stalks you wrap in each piece of bacon depending on their size.
Bacon slices – You will want to cut each slice in half width wise, so that the bacon cooks quicker and to save a bit of $$ and calories. A half slice of bacon for each bundle is perfect and will get you plenty of deliciousness.
Cooking spray – I like to lightly spray the asparagus before I wrap them in bacon as to crisp them up a bit more in the air fryer. This is optional but the recipe was made and tested using cooking spray, so be advised if you skip, the spears may come out a little differently.
Salt and black pepper – just to give the asparagus a bit of flavor, sprinkle them with a little bit of sea salt or kosher salt and pepper. Feel free to also add a little garlic powder! Again, this is optional, but if you have the time and think about it, just give the spears a little sprinkle.
Easy step-by-step directions
Begin my rinsing your asparagus spears and snipping off the woody ends of the asparagus stem. I usually snap off about 1-2 inches off the ends of the asparagus.
Give them a light spray of cooking oil and then toss with salt and pepper, and garlic powder if so desired.
Wrap a 2-4 bundle package of asparagus spears in ½ slice of bacon each, and then place in your air fryer basket in a single layer.
Cook at 370 degrees f for 10 – 14 minutes. Cooking time will depend on how thick the asparagus is and how crispy you want your bacon.
Yes, you definitely can! I have used prosciutto with excellent results and they were a huge hit for Easter. You can also use turkey bacon if you are watching your fat and cholesterol intake, or if you just prefer the taste!
I suggest avoiding thick cut bacon, as it will take too long to cook and then your asparagus will become over-cooked and sad. Instead, use thinner bacon slices.
Expert Cooking Tips
The air fryer temperature and cooking time I recommend here is for an oven style large air fryer. If you are using a basket style air fryer like the Ninja Foodi, you can keep the temperature the same, but may need to adjust the cooking time.
This is one of my favorite air fryer recipes because unlike some other foods cooked in the air fryer, the leftovers taste just as good! Some foods cooked in the air fryer really taste best served right away, but these little bacon bundles are amazing served at room temperature or slightly reheated in the microwave or air fryer. Store leftovers in an air tight container for up to 5 days. They make the perfect snack, especially if you are following a low carb KETO diet.
I hope these air fryer bacon wrapped asparagus bundles become a family favorite in your house! They would be the perfect side dish for air fryer fish sticks! If you make these and loved how they turned out, please consider leaving a 5 star rating and review.
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus in Air Fryer
- Air Fryer
- 1 lb Asparagus woody ends trimmed
- 6 slices Bacon cut in half lengthwise
- Cooking spray
- Salt and pepper
- Rinse asparagus and trim off woody ends. Lightly spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Wrap a group of 2-4 asparagus with ½ slice of bacon. Place in the basket or on the cooking tray for the air fryer.
- Air fry at 375 for 10-14 minutes until asparagus and bacon is cooked through.