blue ombre multi-strand seed bead necklace with gold clasp howewelive.com Andrea wearing a white shirt and a blue ombre multi-strand seed bead necklace

Design Mom asked me to create a spring version of a classic DIY of mine, the seed bead necklace.  I ended up creating this pretty coral and gold version for her site, but I also created a fun ombre layered necklace for me and I wanted to share it with you all!  I’ve said before and I’ll say it again, working with seed beads is simple, but tedious.  Expect this project to take you about 3 hours, but the level of ease is quite high.  A novice should be able to recreate this beautiful interpretation of a fun trend out there.

Your Supplies: Various colors of seed beads in light to dark shades, stringing wire (looks just like fishing wire), crimp beads, 4 jump rings in varying sizes (2 larger for your ends, one tiny one to attach your chain to and 1 medium size ring to leave on the end of your chain to lengthen – Michaels has a pack of various sized jump rings that contain all the sizes you need), 1 lobster claw closure, a small bit of chain, and scissors, wire cutters and needle nosed pliers.

Begin by cutting a length of line about 20 inches long.

cutting the necklace string with gold scissors

Next, add one crimp bead, then a jump ring

necklace wire with a gold crimp bead and a jump ring

Then loop your string over the jump ring and through the crimp bead and pinch shut with your needle nosed pliers.  This will keep the beads in place when you start stringing.

The necklace string looped thru the jump ring and back thru the crimp bead closing the crimp bead with a pair of needle nose pliers

Then begin stringing.  You can start with your lighter shade of bead like I did or reverse it and go from dark to light.  A trick for quicker stringing is to lighten dampen your finger tip with a wet sponge/cloth and then dip your finger into your bowl of beads to grab a few at a time.  This limits how many times you have to dip into get beads a bit.

threading the first beads on the necklace string

As you complete each string, make sure to repeat the crimp bead process as above so that you add a jump ring and crimp bead to one end.  This secures your other end and leaves you a jump ring on both ends to add your strings to.  Here are some in progress shots.  To create the layered ombre effect it is important that as you add your strings of beads, you also add a bit of length to each line.  I added about 1 inch to each line so that at the end, my necklace varied from 20 inches to about 25 inches long when hung on my neck.

two strings of light blue beads with two gold jump rings 6 strands of seed beads strung together into an blue ombre necklace different shades of blue seed beads on a necklace dark blue seed beads being thread onto the necklace wire

Once your stringing is complete, you’ll want to add your chain.   I added a 3 inch piece of chain to the end of my necklace to make it a bit adjustable.

ombre blue seed bead necklace with a gold chain and clasp to the side

With your needle nosed pliers and the smallest jump ring, attach your chain to one end of your necklace.

Attaching a gold chain to the jump ring

Trim your chain with your wire cutters

cutting the gold chain to length with wire cutters

Add the medium sized jump ring to the end of the piece of chain, and then using your needle nosed pliers attach the lobster claw to the other end.

gold chain attached to the seed bead necklace with a small jump ring on the end

>adding the necklace clasp to the jump ring with needle nose pliers

And you’re complete!

completed ombre multi-strand seed bead necklace

A pretty spring necklace reflecting ombre, one of the biggest ongoing trends.  The color options are endless and you because the necklace is adjustable, you can wear it short or long depending on the look you’re pairing it with.  I hope you enjoyed this DIY and let me know if you have any questions!

Andrea wearing a white shirt and the completed ombre blue multi-strand seed bead necklace

45 Comments

Dana

Lovely! I'm soo into this trend right now. I actually did a ombre dresser upcycle.

hennymats

Oh I remember those seed beads from when I was a kid! Love the grown-up hombre version, also the coral one. Not sure it's a smart idea to have around my neck with a necklace-pulling toddler around, but it sure is pretty. And there's always the office…

Kelly

Hi, Andrea! This necklace is so gorgeous! Love the idea! If you're interested, I'd like to link to this project on my site, AllFreeBeadedJewelry.com, directing our readers back to your tutorial. Let me know what you think; I'd love to work with you!

Thanks,

Kelly Spence

Editor, AllFreeBeadedJewelry.com

kspence@primecp.com

Joan

ve been looking everywhere for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You have made my day! Thx again

Ahighbloodpressurediet.com

Courtney

Fun!

I also love your nail polish…I’m always on the lookout for nice neutrals.

Katie

How many beads would you say you need? I want to make this necklace but don’t want to have a ton of beads left over…

Sandy

I Love this necklace!!! Thanks for the tutorial. Do you happen to sell them for those of us lazy people?

Tessa

I’m currently making this necklace for one of my friends for Christmas and I’m having a problem with the large jump ring and the stringing wire. The wires keep coming out of the little opening of the jump ring. I was wondering if you could tell me what kind of wire you used and was this a problem you had as well. Thanks!

Zurina

This comment is for Tessa – both Cindy and GB Designs share great solutions to your problem. I tend to use a soldered (closed) jump ring as well. This can be cool because you can add another design element. Often you will find decorative links that will work just as well, and they can add a little texture and shape to your piece. A dun little trick 🙂 Good luck and enjoy your beautiful jewelry!

Andrea Peterson

I love this necklace!! I want to create my own too, and I was curious as to where you usually purchase your beads from? I went to Michael’s but the selection wasn’t great, and the prices were high. I thought you might have a secret source?! 😉

Jess

Where can I get ombre beads like that? I’ve been looking everywhere and I can’t seem to find anything.

Cindy

I wish you had made a PDF of this pattern. It takes up too much paper and ink to print it off. Love th design though. I’m going to try it. Also, for the person who is having trouble with the wire slipping out if the jump ring, try using callettes. They are little caps with a hook. You thread the wire into the open cap, knot it, then close the cap. Then you hook it over the jump ring and close the hook. Hope that helps. Either that or use a split ring instead of a jump ring.

GB Designs

When using the monofiliment or very fine wire, I have begun using the soldered rings and connecting from there with jump rings…no chance of losing wires!! Great necklace…on my “to do list.”

Deb

Hi!
I love the easy instructions and the helpdul tips. Thank you for sharing this! I am going to make some for my husband’s aunts as a bon voyage and thank-you presents when they go home to Australia.

Much love,

Deb

Jennifer

This is a great tutorial, I appreciate your taking the time to make it! I’m going to use this as a jumping off point, adding my own twist with either tiny pearls or gemstones or swarovskis in the center-ish of each strand , (I’m not quite sure which one yet… Opinion? ) making a nice layered piece. At least, that is my goal. The outcome will realistically be much more catastrophic and much less elegant than the image I’ve conjured up in my head. 🙂 anyways, thanks again!

joy

can someone tell me where to order materials? thanks much! i love your site!

Elly

Love the color combination, thank you for sharing.
I agree, seed beads are a bit tedious, but so much fun to work with anyway because of the lovely results

Christine

I wanna start beading business but don’t know where to start from. I’m in Africa, Tanzania

acne cures

great issues altogether, you simply won a logo new reader.

What might you recommend about your put up tuat you made some days ago?
Any sure?

Wendi

Hola amigos , su gran párrafo en el tema de la educación clases particulares y
plenamente explicado , sigue así todo el tiempo.

Eartha

l es un caballero, neimaer y me dio el poder del di. With a small amount of practice, however,
you can get that things get even more simple to do.
an su ministerio o el lugar en el que guardaban sus objetos
personales cotidianos”, explica Amalia Est.

Custom Creations by Christie

Absolutely Beautiful! I’ve been bead-weaving for years; thought stringing was too simplistic, but you’ve shown how classy, classic, and stunning stringing can turn out. Thank you for opening my eyes!

sarah

Do you buy your seed beads in bulk? If so, where do you recommend buying them?

Debra

I love multi-strand seed bead necklaces…the way you finish this one is brilliant!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Joni

I made this for my mom for Mother’s Day and it turned out great! The only problem is that the Clamp beads And jump wire can be felt and scratchy on the back of the neck. Advice on how to smooth the ends?