Air fryer sweet potato wedges are lightly seasoned with a few ingredients that are pantry staples, and cooked till tender on the inside and crispy on the outside. The perfect healthy alternative to deep fried fries, these are a cinch to make and don’t sacrifice flavor for nutrition.
I’ve always preferred the flavor of sweet potatoes to regular, and enjoy the added benefits of them being a lot more nutritious. I love sweet potatoes steamed, baked, cubed and roasted, and of course fried. Skip the mess and added trans fats involved with deep frying and air fry instead. Read on to learn just how easy and simple these crispy sweet potato fries are to make. And they go perfectly with my air fried chicken bites.
Why this recipe works
- Healthy alternative to deep frying, using not much oil and minimal ingredients, resulting in less nutrient degradation and fewer calories.
- Quick and easy to make, with no mess of deep frying.
- Flavorful and delicious; no sacrificing taste for nutrition.
- Loaded with antioxidants, vitamin C, vitamin B6 and beta-carotene, sweet potatoes are overall a healthier alternative to white potatoes
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes, cut into large thick wedges
- Small amount of oil to toss potatoes in. You can use avocado oil, extra virgin olive oil or whatever vegetable oil you have on hand
- Seasoning blend of choice, but here I used cinnamon, nutmeg, a touch of cayenne pepper and kosher salt.
Peel and slice potatoes and place in a small bowl, along with seasoning. Toss well.
Place seasoned wedges on a single layer in the air fryer basket and air fry at 375 degrees f for 12-14 minutes. Make sure to give your sweet potato slices a good toss and little shake in the basket, half way through cooking.
As with all air fryer recipes, cook time will vary depending on the thickness of your slices and the power of your air fryer.
For best results, serve these crispy sweet potato wedges immediately with your favorite dipping sauce. I love making a simple garlic aioli or slightly spicy sriracha mayo.
Air fryer recipe FAQ’s
Yes and no. With this recipe, your sweet potato wedges will get a crispy exterior, but they won’t be *crunchy* like regular fries per se. Because the recipe uses so little oil, you will never achieve the same taste and texture as deep fried foods, but it’s well worth the sacrifice of crunch for the gained health benefits. The flavor is just as delicious though and these air fryer sweet potato fries may become your new favorite.
They do taste amazing right out of the air fryer, but you can definitely reheat. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. Then reheat in the air fryer at 375 for 3-5 minutes. You can give them a little spritz with olive oil spray before cooking if they seem dried out.
I went with more traditional autumn inspired warm flavors, but you can definitely get creative and try some other combos. That’s the best part about making simple recipes like this; the ability to be flexible and customize!
- Garlic powder, onion powder, dried parsley, black pepper and sea salt would be amazing.
- Ranch dressing packaged mix – just toss wedges in a tablespoon of the seasoning mix and cook as directed.
- For a sweeter fry, toss with brown sugar or maple syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg. Then sprinkle your wedges with cinnamon sugar mix after air frying.
Recipe Tips and tricks
I recipe tested both ways, and found soaking potatoes first in cold water does not make a difference. Sweet potatoes don’t contain as much starch as regular white potatoes, so this step is not needed. Whereas you definitely need to pre-soak the potatoes to make my truffle air fryer potato chips, it is not necessary to do so here.
You can try to achieve a slightly crispier exterior by tossing potatoes in a bit of corn starch or arrowroot powder before air frying. After slicing potatoes, add cornstarch to seasoning blend, then toss with oil and then fry. If you have the time and desire to add in this extra step, go for it. But I found the easy method makes delicious sweet potato fries all on their own.
These air fryer sweet potatoes make the perfect snack or a delicious side dish. You seriously can’t go wrong with them. If you give them a try please share your feedback in the comments below!
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges
- Air Fryer
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and sliced into thick wedges
- 1 tbsp olive oil may go up to 2 tbsp depending on size of potatoes
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- cayenne pepper just a pinch
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Peel and slice potatoes and place in a small bowl, along with seasoning. Toss well.
- Place seasoned wedges on a single layer in the air fryer basket and air fry at 375 degrees f for 12-14 minutes. Make sure to give your sweet potato slices a good toss and little shake in the basket, half way through cooking.