Slow Cooker Bolognese
A super flavorful Bolognese sauce that is cooked low and slow in your slow cooker. This is a wonderful made from scratch tomato sauce and is the perfect recipe to use up your garden tomatoes.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Total Time: 3 hours 20 mins
- Yield: 6-8
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound grass fed ground beef
- Two (6-ounce) cans tomato paste
- 8-10 cups diced tomatoes, about 12 medium tomatoes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Hot cooked pasta, for serving
- Shaved parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Have a 4-6 quart slow cooker ready to go.
- Heat the oil or butter in a large skillet. Add the onion, carrot, and celery. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30-60 seconds.
- Next add the ground beef, using a wooden spoon to break it up as it cooks.
- Once it has browned, remove from heat and transfer everything to the slow cooker.
- Stir in the tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Set slow cooker to HIGH for 3-4 hours, or LOW for 8-10 hours.
- Before serving, taste and add more salt if needed, and season with black pepper.
- Serve over hot, cooked pasta and garnish with cheese.
Keywords: slow cooker fresh tomato sauce, homemade spaghetti sauce from fresh tomatoes, slow cooker spaghetti sauce from scratch